Posts by Gappers

Monday 7 March 2011

Faith

Much of the theology I've learnt this year has been a correction of what I assumed or was taught in the past. 


Faith. I used to spend so much time in the desert thats its surprising I haven't adapted into some sort of human cactus by now. Thankfully, the desert is just a christian metaphor for feeling far from or not hearing from God. 

I spent hours trying to have faith. There's a good, loving, powerful God who sent His Son down to earth to save me by grace through faith. All I need is faith. Why couldn't I just believe? I wanted it to be true but that didn't mean it was and it didn't mean I could believe. 

If God gives us faith then I think He missed me out.

But

Through faith we gain faith. That's what I've learnt.

'Throw yourself in at the deep end'. I need to pray, I need to depend on Him, I need to be open to Him, I need to trust Him to see Him. This is because through all of this I will see Him work. 

God gives each of us faith, like God has given us everything we have. We need to take a risk to grow. Jump and hope He'll catch us. We'll be surprised when He does. And our faith will be a little bit stronger.

Desert times can be awesome, and they're not always a bad thing at all. Jesus spent 40 days in the desert being tempted. But, for me I had left and walked into a desert because of my fear of risks and desire for control. But I've learnt a lot.



Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you 
Matthew 17:20



No comments:

Post a Comment