Posts by Gappers

Monday 7 February 2011

The moon, seatbelts and Romans 12 - Hannah

I feel that I should start this blog with some sort of well written introduction but I’m no good at that so I’ll get straight into it.
I was recently having a chat with a friend about the different contexts in which we find God revealed. I explained to him that I find God in the moon, how incredible I find it that the same Sun that gives light to the other side of the earth is reflecting off the moon, becoming visible. I find it so awesome that I can sit and stare at it for ages. After explaining this, there was a short pause before he said he had a similar thing with seatbelts. At first I thought he’d missed my point entirely but when he elaborated I realized that each of us just experience God in different ways. God’s awesome and quite funny.
Anyway, on a completely different note, I’ve recently been challenged to read my bible more and within the last few months some great things have come from this. I’ve found that I’ve become far more excited about my faith. One of the chapters which has most inspired me is Romans 12. I’d encourage anyone who reads this post to read the whole chapter but I’ll share my thoughts on verse 1.



Romans 12:1 - Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and spiritual act of worship.



In Greek the word spiritual means rational. Therefore, when Paul talks about ‘spiritual act of worship’ it means our ‘rational act of worship’. This made me think about what our society and culture says about faith and rationality. It makes us believe that to have faith, to pray and to worship is irrational since we are ‘sorted’, we live in society with immediate answers and solutions. There is no God and there is no need for a God. Therefore, the idea that worship is the only truly rational thing to do is so counter cultural. This concept challenged me to think about and reject what my culture says about my religion and faith. To ‘not conform to the pattern of this world’ is to not compartmentalize our lives and to let our faith impact all areas of our life.
A little while ago Mel was teaching us about our generation and postmodernism. This is what made me think about how we compartmentalize and how this leads to a lack of integrity. In my own life I have noticed that I’m a completely different person around different groups of friends and I choose to share my faith with some and not others. I recently met up with some college friends who I hadn’t seen in a while. After a short conversation with them about what each of us was doing I noticed how little they knew about my faith and how important it is to me.


So, that’s one of my aims in life at the moment. Please pray for more integrity for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment